Triathlon Training with John Howard
3 steps to a better cycling performance
Solana Beach, CA March 2 – 3, $399
The cycling leg of a triathlon is the longest section of an event, so it’s worth spending time optimizing your performance. Small tweaks to your position, technique changes and general bike skills improvements can equate to a much bigger performance boost overall.
John Howard is a world class olympic cyclist, triathlete and endurance athlete. Among many other achievements he has won the Hawaii Ironman World Championship, been on the USA Cycling Olympic team three times, competed in the inaugural Race Across America and set the world bicycle speed record of 152.2 mph. Despite his fame John is a very approachable coach who has worked with cyclists of all abilities.
CCSD is proud to be working alongside John for this triathlon training camp.
About the Camp
This camp is designed to give triathletes an opportunity to analyse their cycling performance and look for ways to make significant improvements in it. The training camp covers a variety of topics and during the camp athletes’ cycling will be analysed allowing them to focus on their top 3 PIFs (Performance Improving Factors) – these are the three things that will make the most difference to their overall performance.
Topics we will cover include:
- Position on the bike & aerodynamics
- Nutrition before and during a race
- Pacing and power output
- Bike handling skills
- Cadence and pedaling efficiency
- Descending and cornering
- The swim-bike and bike-run transitions
Optional PowerFiTTE™ Performance Boost session with John Howard
Athletes Registering for the training camp have the option to sign up for an in depth PowerFiTTE session with John Howard for at a discounted price of $199. The PowerFiTTE session analyzes all aspects of your position, flexibility and the rider-bike interfaces. Power output is measured before and after the session to calculate the overall performance improvement and most clients observe significant improvements from the changes made. More information here: What is Power Fitte? .
Triathlon Training Camp At-A-Glance
Skills sessions: Each day we conduct skills sessions before and during rides to work on general bike handling, descending and cornering, confidence drills and improving efficiency.
Rides: Rides each day will be 40 – 60 miles with a mixture of flat, fast sections and rolling hills. Rides will be supported with professional coaching, ride leaders, SAG support and CCSD mechanic.
Clinics: Education clinics will take place after rides covering topics such as nutrition and fueling for events, getting the transition right, pacing and power output.
One to one coaching: During the training camp athletes will have access to a number of professional coaches and there is plenty of time for Q&A and one to one coaching.
Location: The base hotel for this camp will be in Solana Beach. We choose a local hotel and agree a group rate of around $100 / room / night. Details will be sent to registered participants. Other accommodation alternatives are also available e.g. motels and vacation rental properties.
Bike shop: Rides and clinics will be conducted at at Revolution and HERevolution bike shop in Solana Beach. During the camp a discount at the shop will be extended to registered clients.
SAG support: During rides you will enjoy professional level SAG support. A CCSD support vehicle will be on the road with you, stocked with food, sports nutrition, kit changes, mechanical assistance etc. All you have to do is focus on your riding.
Registration: Camp places are limited to ensure optimum coach:particpant ratios. Please register early for this popular camp. Registration through ACTIVE.COM: REGISTER HERE
- Daily coaching with professional coaches
- All skills and educational clinic
- Full on the road professional level support
- Support / follow car on rides
- Mechanical assistance from professional mechanic during the camp
- All sports nutrition, gels, bars, on the road snacks and food provided
- Product samples and sponsor products
- 10-15% discount at HERevolution and Revolution bike shop during the camp
- Discount on ProFiTTE session with John Howard
- Open and ongoing Q&A welcome and encouraged during and after the camp!
What’s not included?
- Hotel costs ( a group rate is agreed at the base hotel)
- Lunches and dinners (although the SAG car is stocked with food and snacks)
- Travel to and from the training camp location
- Major mechanicals will be addressed by a trusted local resource when the day’s ride is completed